Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Kids Cook Monday- Lasagna!

This Monday we were a little pressed for time to get dinner on the table because Chris had a plane to catch later in the evening. We could have had dinner after he left, but I wanted him to have a home cooked meal before he left town because when he's away for work he has to eat out for every meal. I decided to make a family favorite- cheese lasagna. This is really the only way I make lasagna because I'm not a big ground meat fan. Brady LOOOOOVES Italian food so I knew it would be easy to get him on board with this meal as well.

Basically this is a very, very simple way to make a "homemade lasagna." When I say "homemade lasagna" I'm referring to the fact that I'm assembling it myself and not just baking a frozen one (not that there's anything wrong with that either!) But, when I say "homemade lasagna" I'm not claiming to make my own sauce or take that much time doing it.

Here's the basic ingredients to this lasagna:

Lasagna noodles (the kind you don't have to boil ahead of assembly)
2 jars of your pasta sauce of choice
1 large container of cottage cheese
2 packages mozzarella cheese

That's all I used for this lasagna, but it would also be great with some spinach, chopped zucchini, fresh tomatoes, or ricotta cheese. That's the great thing about lasagna; you can layer in whatever you like and it still tastes delicious! (Anything would with tomato sauce and cheese!) I started with sauce on the bottom of my baking dish and then layered noodles, cottage cheese, sauce, cheese and then repeated until I started running out of ingredients! It's so easy! I baked it for 30 minutes on 350* with foil on top and then another 15 minutes uncovered.

I didn't get a picture of the lasagna right when it came out so the only picture I have is after we began to devour it. As you can see, it's half gone. Mind you, it was just Chris, Brady and me. We joked that Brady had a crazy look in his eyes between bites and it couldn't cool fast enough for him.
This makes the best leftovers too!

Crazy look. Give. Me. More!

A happy, satisfied, boy!
Brady is a little young to help in the kitchen, but I can't wait to make this meal when he's older. It's the perfect dinner for kids to help "cook." They can easily help with the assembly- there's really no way to mess this one up!

No comments:

Post a Comment