Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Things I've Learned as a "Boy Mom"

1. Anything with an engine- train, plane, motorcycle, lawn mower- is FASCINATING.
There's a reason that Disney made 2 Cars movies and then followed it up with Planes. Brady simply CANNOT be outside without pointing out each passing airplane. He obsessively watches neighbors as they mow their yards. He is convinced that every time Chris leaves the house he will be taking his motorcycle and runs to the window to watch him leave, just in the off chance he'll get to see "Daddy ride mo!" We have had to hound the poor librarians at our library to track down all the train books at the neighboring libraries. We even had a meltdown when returning our books. Screaming, through tears, "Bye bye choo-choo books...see ya..."
Riding tractors...serious business.

2. I don't need to color sort my laundry.
Girl clothes are so adorable. They are one of the few things that make me wish I had a girl. But, the great thing about all those not as adorable boy plaid shorts, baseball onesies, and Mickey t-shirts is the simplicity of my laundry. Yes, boys seem to make big messes which results in copious amounts of laundry but, I've never had to read a label on the back of a shirt, lay something flat to dry, iron, or even sort by color. It's all blue, gray, green, and brown. No fuss needed.
Also, boys like being naked.

3. Expect that all photos will be blurry.
My boys are never still. Seriously, every time Nolan smiles his feet kick, arms are flailing, and drool flies out. Brady is usually climbing, running, or kicking something whenever a camera comes out. So, despite my efforts to improve my photography skills, my moving targets will always be a blur.
Nolan, ferociously grabbing my face and attacking me with kisses!

4. Boys can eat A LOT.
You would never believe by the size of Brady just how much food he can pack away. Seriously, there are times when kids meals are such a joke. He can easily put down his own 8 pack of nuggets at Chick-fil-a. One time when we were out to breakfast I made the mistake of just sharing my meal with him. He ate 2 pancakes, 2 pieces of bacon, scrambled eggs and a biscuit. I pretty much got nothing to eat! And Nolan, well let's just say, he aint even close to giving up his nighttime feedings. Needless to say, I'm a little worried for my grocery bills in the teen years.

5. Something will always be sticky, dirty, slimy, or in some cases, blue.
Just the other day I had to quickly get off the phone with my mom because in the one minute from when I got him out of the car to when he ran into the front yard, Brady's face was covered in some brown mystery substance. Still not sure what that was...perhaps a mixture of leftover fruit snacks and dirt?
Sticky, blue lollipops...blend in just fine with the "boy" uniform.

6. Being "gentle" is next to impossible.
I don't understand how little, 4 month old, Nolan has the ability to pull out so much of my hair with his tiny little fists. He's such a brute. And Brady... our poor animals don't stand a chance around him- So many "hugs" for poor Gato and Albert. So, the two boys together, I can only imagine what our future holds!


7. The only accessories we really have to worry about are matching socks and the occasional baseball hat.
As much as I love those hand made rosette head bands (that's a real thing, right?) there's something to be said about the ease of throwing on a pair of shorts, a shirt, and a hat and heading out the door. Nothing really has to match and everyone looks cute in a baseball hat!
Monkey hat and bib- this is as fancy as we get.

So cool.

8.  The term "throw pillows" is taken very literally.
I can't tell you how many times I've picked up my throw pillows off the floor. Apparently in a boys' world, they are just fluffy obstacles taking up room on the couch. Also, they fly pretty well and make a nice landing spot for when you're jumping off the couch. I don't anticipate this changing in my life, as Chris is just as guilty of tossing the pillows off the couch.

9. You have to run everywhere.
*Mommy just got me out of the car, time to run like a maniac into the yard.
*I have flip flops on that always make me trip, time to run like crazy up and down the sidewalk.
*Mommy is getting the baby out of the car, time to make a run for it in the parking lot.
*Daddy's mowing the lawn, I must run to find my bubble mower.
So. Much. Running.
Screaming, "GO GO GO!"

10. The term "momma's boy" is just so true.
Even though boys have endless energy, a love of sports and other "guy stuff," and live for rough housing with daddy, there is just something so cool about a mommy/son bond. I'm the one they want when they're tired or fussy or just need a little extra loving. I get endless snuggles and (sometimes slobbery) kisses. If there's a boo boo that needs kissing, I like to think I do it best. I love my little guys and value my role in raising little men so much, but my hope is that even as grown men, they will always need their momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment